Our Full Mask Performing for Students workshop can be booked at a duration to suit you and your students, from one hour to a full day. The engaging and fast-paced session introduces students to mask theatre, showing how to create characters, develop clarity in communication and devise original mask work, empowering students to create their own mask theatre and gain a better understanding of theatre vocabulary needed for the written elements of GCSE/AS/A level drama. The workshop is suitable for KS3 to degree level, and can be led by a deaf practitioner for students who are deaf or HoH - please let us know when booking
All our in-person mask workshops adhere to the latest Covid-19 Government guidelines.
The workshop will:
• familiarise students with the basic rules of performing in full mask, focusing on physical clarity
• develop students’ understanding of specific performance elements such as movement, gesture and pace, and how this helps in creating character and communicating intention
• teach students important mask techniques such as internal monologue, clocking, punctuated movement and stillness
• build students’ confidence in the devising process, and encourage them to think creatively and clearly
• encourage students to consider, and be able to critique, the importance of the performer/audience relationship
• develop teamwork and group trust
• allow shy or under-confident students to shine with the protection of a mask
For additional content in longer sessions, please see the Course Outline pdf
Suitability: KS3 upwards
Course size: maximum 30 participants
To book a workshop: contact us on 01905 312921 or email learning[at]vamostheatre.co.uk
Vamos Theatre is committed to a practice which protects children, young people and vulnerable adults from harm. You can read about our Safeguarding Policy here.
Presented by Vamos Theatre creative practitioners, this workshop can be streamed straight into the classroom and to students who are self-isolating.
Whether you are looking to kick start a project or hone an existing piece of theatre, this workshop guides you and your students through the essential skills you need to be confident in creating devised, non-verbal and mask theatre.
We will cover:
• the basic rules of performing in full mask, focusing on physical clarity, a key element of many performance styles beyond mask
• developing students’ understanding of specific performance elements such as movement, gesture and pace, and how this helps in creating character and communicating intention in any non-verbal theatre
• teaching students key mask techniques such as internal monologue, clocking, punctuated movement and stillness
• building students’ confidence in the devising process, and encouraging them to think creatively and clearly in terms of structure, and when working from stimulus
All the content is relevant to mask or non-mask performance and we can adapt the workshop to suit.
Length: 2 hours or 4 hours
Age suitability: KS3 to postgraduate
To book: please contact our Learning department
Vamos Theatre created a truly democratic performance space for our students and empowered them to communicate profoundly, hilariously and emphatically. Mask theatre speaks no language but human language, one we can all understand, and I was both amazed and moved to see our students flourish throughout the week.
It was excellent and so well suited to our pupils.
The work shop that took place at my college really made me realise how hard mask work is, but also I learnt how effective body language is when betraying an emotion. Thank you for coming!
I have been a teacher for 10 years and it was by far the most dynamic and worthwhile workshop I have ever seen delivered to students. I feel after your workshop they have the best possible start for their practical exam.