In the second of our Meet the Cast and Crew series, Sarah Hawkins - whose been with Vamos almost since we began - tells us about her influences and what inspires her as an actor...
1. How did you get started as an actor, and who were your main influences? joined Vamos Youth Theatre when I was 17. Vamos offered me my first acting job 5 years ago, and I'm hooked. Alan Riley, our Dramaturg, is an inspiring teacher!
2. What is your most exciting performance experience to date?
Opening Finding Joy to a packed house at the London International Mime Festival was a highlight last year.
3. In your opinion, what does mask theatre offer audiences that they cannot gain from other forms of theatre?
It's a personal experience for every member of the audience because they create a script in their mind, so the story is embellished with their own emotions and memories. It's totally absorbing as well - if you look away, you'll miss something.
4. What tips would you give an actor whose just starting to explore mask/visual theatre?
Always have a clear internal monologue - if you don't know what you're doing or saying, the audience won't either. I write a full script for myself for every show.
5. What do you enjoy most about the rehearsal process?
I love hearing the music develop from an idea to the finished soundtrack. Every time we rehearse there is a new draft with more layers and depth than the last!
6. What is the most useful piece of advice you have been given in your own career and by who?
Don't do something you don't enjoy - the most important thing is to be happy. Advice from my mum!
Have you a question for Sarah? You can ask it via the comments box below…